What should I look for in a child care for my child?

You can read about what a quality care center for your child should look like, including questions to ask a potential provider, on this page You can also find out more about our own quality care center in our School page.

Do you offer scholarships?

DCCDA/Positive Bright Start does offer scholarships, or child care tuition assistance, to qualifying families at our school, and at some other quality care centers in our area.

How do I get licensed as a child care provider?

Home care providers and child care centers must be licensed to provide care through the State of Kansas.  Every care provider should display his or her license prominently in their space.  You can also check a provider’s history of violations and current license status with the Lawrence Douglas County Health Department. Lawrence Douglas County Health Department website, 785-843-3060.

How do I find a child care center for my child?

For a child care referral, you can call the Child Care Aware of Eastern Kansas hotline 1-877-678-2548 or visit their website.  They can tell you which centers in the area may have openings for your child.

What is CACFP?

The Child and Adult Care Food Program is a federal reimbursement program, administrated in our area by Positive Bright Start, for licensed home care providers  who serve nutritious food to the children in their care.

What are ACES?

ACEs is an acronym for Adverse Childhood Experiences.  You can read more about ACEs and how they affect a person, in childhood and throughout their lifetime, at the websites listed below.  You can also read about the trauma sensitive therapy services offered to children and their families by DCCDA/Positive Bright Start here.

from the Centers for Disease Control

from ACEs Too High News 

Where can I get other assistance in our community?

A variety of agencies in the Lawrence-Douglas County area provide a variety of services and forms of assistance, everything from utility assistance to food pantries.  For a list of agencies and the services they provide, see our Community Resource and Referral list.